one week, done.


posted by molly ruppel

1 comment


Hello everyone!
       I apologize for taking so long to write this third entry. The past week has been hectic, new, beautiful, tiring, shocking, interesting, and most of all, so incredible. The concept of “culture shock” never truly hit me until I was on the airplane, about an hour from touchdown. At that time, the only thing running through my head was, “what have I done?” While getting off the airplane and standing in the customs line, I quickly discovered a friend who was in my program. Despite our jetlag and nervous tendencies, we made it through and found our program leaders.
       As I sit here now (a week into my trip), my nerves have completely worn off and the culture shock has disappeared. Fully submerging yourself in a new culture is truly the best way to become accustomed to it. I have only been here for one week but I’m already noticing that this will be a trip of a lifetime. Although I have been to Europe before, it’s already completely different than what I remember. Then, I was able to use my English-speaking buffer and get away with ordering a “chocolate crepe” from a tourist attracted crêperie. Now, my roommates (thankfully) have pushed me into speaking French when I didn’t believe it was even possible. Every time we eat out for dinner, it’s officially MY job to say “l'addition s'il vous plait” at the end of the meal. I quickly caught on and learned that this useful phrase means, “the check, please”. Living with three roommates who all speak relatively great French (and aren’t afraid to push me) is actually very, very helpful.
        Today was the first time for many things. It was the first day of classes. The first day I had a conversation with an elderly French woman in the elevator. The first day I sat in a park, alone, eating a baguette and reading my French fashion textbook. The first time I encountered the glorious “crêpe au Nutella et bananes”. The first time I took the Metro alone (and didn’t get lost). The first time I realized that men in Paris truly do look like they just stepped off of the runway (thanks to my professor, Jean-Pierre, for that one). I’m starting to realize that everyday I spend in this extraordinary city will be a day of learning, growing, & living.
       Each day has been a day of exploration so far. Instead of being ultimate tourists, my roommates and I find our days filled with wandering around anywhere we see fit. Of course, we will be going to see the Eiffel Tower and Sacré-Cœur…but why go there immediately if we are able to see those famous structures from our own balcony? I have learned that the best way to discover new things is by getting completely lost…and believe me, we have. We have walked endless amounts of miles until our feet ached and backs hurt…but at the end of the trek; it’s completely worth it (and so is the warm, delicious, café au lait).

       I have truly been impressed with my bravery since I have been here. I no longer tense up when someone asks me what I would like to drink in French. I can travel the metro with confidence. I have made friends who I believe will stick with me for a long time after our study abroad program has finished. It’s amazing how much I have to say and I’ve only been here for one week. I can’t wait to see what lies ahead of me. Au revoir!

xox, mer

1 comment

Leave a Reply