on the flight


posted by molly ruppel

3 comments


In the first entry, I promised to write a few more words before I “headed over the pond”. Since I was extremely busy the last few days I was in the US, packing, running errands, repacking, and packing some more… I didn’t get around to writing until now. What a great place to type out my second blog entry…while actually flying OVER the pond. It’s hour number 6 on my second flight…only 3 ½ more to go! I (as well as the man sitting next to me) are unable to sleep due to the California time zone my body is stuck on. He is typing away on his computer so I thought; why not type away on mine! I have only 39% battery left on this thing, and usually that doesn’t mean much time…so I will do my best to do this quickly!
                  I spent the last few days in Bakersfield, like I said, packing. Well…to be honest, I waited until the night before I left to start packing. Thanks to my mother who is an expert (not kidding; there are about 10 different clothing items stuffed in each shoe I brought) and my dear friend Krista who cleans to relieve stress (enough said), packing was a cinch! Well, sort of. I tend to bring more than I need and I’m afraid (even though my bag weighs under 50 lbs), that is exactly what I did. I don’t think my luggage fits in the category of “packed lightly” as it should. Oh well!
The final goodbyes were not easy, although I did receive countless blessings & words of advice from friends and family.  I enjoyed reading the emails & texts, listening to the voicemails, and looking into the eyes of those I love as they send me their best wishes. I genuinely take those messages to heart…so, thank you!
                  One thing I’ve noticed since I’ve been on this flight is that my ears are constantly open. Every chance I get to listen to a conversation (in French), I do. I think it’s a beautiful language, really, and I cannot wait to be able to understand and even speak it (lets hope). I watched the French sub titles of the aircraft safety video (yes, the video we all know and love) and tried to translate to the best of my ability. I would be lying if I said that was easy. I think being aware of the language(s) around me is a good start as I head off to a country that speaks something completely than what I am used to...
                  I am a little bummed because I forgot to bring my journal in my carry on bag. Believe it or not, I have already had so many different thoughts and emotions entering my mind worth writing down. I guess I’ll just have to start hoarding the American Airline napkins they give me and begin my journal on those; so far, I have two. That would be something to look back on, wouldn’t it?
                  When I step off of this airplane, I will be in the city I will soon become quite familiar with. I have one full day to relax, settle in, and explore a bit…then, I will have orientation the next three days which I heard can be tiring. I am eager to meet my roommates and everyone in the program. It’s funny knowing that soon enough my friends from Paris may be reading my blog as well.
                  Although I have not been writing for long, my computer is dying quickly (as I knew it would). Please excuse my scattered thoughts and chopped up sentences. This could be from my lack of sleep…or perhaps its from my nerves/excitement. Once I have a little bit of downtime in the coming week, I promise to take a moment to explain the sites I will soon explore. Again, if you’re still reading; thank you. I hope to hear from each and every one of you soon.
                  Written with love,
                                    xox, mer :)

3 comments

Leave a Reply